June 3rd 2011 8:11 am PT
Today we announced that by extending the capabilities of the Xbox platform with Kinect and Xbox LIVE, Microsoft has “changed the tail” of the typical console lifecycle, showing dramatic gains in the fifth and sixth years of this generation. (see chart above)
In addition, we’ve released the following data points:
- Microsoft has now sold 55 million Xbox 360 consoles across 38 countries and sales are accelerating.
- Xbox 360 maintains its lead in the U.S. as the top selling console in 2011, and ten of the past eleven months.
- In the first four months of 2011, Xbox 360 has seen a 29 percent year over year increase in sales, which is more than triple the growth of PlayStation 3 and the largest growth of any console on the market.
- There are now nearly 35 million active Xbox LIVE members worldwide spending an average of almost 60 hours a month on the service.
- Cumulatively Xbox LIVE members are now logging 2.1 billion entertainment hours a month.
Next week, we’ll be on stage in Los Angeles for our annual E3 Media Briefing, so be sure to tune in for more announcements.