All the videos show in today’s presentation are right here.
Xbox One By Larry Hryb, Xbox LIVE's Major Nelson
SONY IS OUR SAVIOR!
ALL HAIL SONY!
SONY LOVES GAMERS!
That might be true and it looks that way, but I’ll tell you what Sony doesn’t love.. Good and reliable online networks, good OS and software, demos for every game available and ergonomic controllers that you can actually use for every genre.
Really I think the OS on PS3 is far better than the current Xbox 360 Dash board, I can find what I want very easily, 360 is so cluttered with ads everywhere, pop up videos ect, I preferred the slide system personally. I don’t need to pay to download demos like on 360 and the controller is awesome, the only thing the 360 pad is good for is FSP Games and I use the 360 pad a lot on the PC. I play FF13-2 on both 360 and PS3 and the Ps3 pad is far better. and Ive never had a issue playing games online on the ps3 and Ive played everything from Disgaea 4, MGS4 to Cod, never had any lag ect. Sure Ps3 was hacked and wont offline for 3 months but the made up for it and its not like the xbox live network has never been hack so @@. Don’t think is far you say stuff like that when its not true. I love gaming I have all the current systems they all have good and bad points but there not far off each other in terms of game play and graphic or even online. the only reason I prefer Ps3 over 360 is I like JPRGS ect that is the only reason I pick ps3 over 360.
The PS controller is so well designed that only few changes has been added in almost 20 years, Sony made the awful mistake of launching the PS3 as the ONE console that did everything and happened to be capable of playing games, at least you could play PS1 and 2 from the start.
While I respect your opinion I couldn’t dissagree more. The Dualshock is an Ergonomic Nightmare compared to the near perfect 360 pad. It has no resistance in the analog sticks so it makes playing any 3rd or first person shooter a complete chore imo.
yes i have watched the live event on my xbox but what has that to do with it, i was reading and article on joystiq that mentioned my above problem..
Awesome cable box, Mr. Hryb. Didn’t your firm plan to announce a video game console today, though? Whatever happened with that?
For all those people hating on the kinect and tv stuff. Just plug the kinect in, and point it towards a wall if you dont want to use it. and for the TV stuff, if you dont want it, dont use it.
Nono, it’s a requirement in the manual that you have to use Kinect and the TV connection and all the apps. Otherwise, Microsoft sends large men to take your system away.
Total Failure. No backward compatibility on XBLA games, games on demand, all the downloadable map packs and ad on content gone if you want the new system. 7 years of buying digital content thinking that I would have it as long as there was xbox live. Now we know it’s until the 360 is no longer being sold or supported. What would happen if a majority of the gamers stopped buying digital content, arcade titles, etc now knowing it won’t be supported by the new system. Commodore Amiga rings a bell.
Completely agreed. I really feel betrayed by the lack of backwards compatibility. I would far rather they had ditched all this interact-with-your-TV shenanigans for being able to interact with my 360 games.
I think this was the worst console reveal I have seen after 20 years of gaming.
TV TV TV TV TV TV. Let’s focus on controlling your TV TV TV…TV SHOWS….oh it plays some games…but back to TV TV TV TV….
Thank you for making gamers a second class market. Thank you for purposely choosing weak hardware in order to make an oversized controller for your tv.
I hope this product fails. It would be best if Microsoft leaves the console industry completely and allows somebody to come in that actually cares about gaming.
I don’t blame you though majornelson, this is all Microsoft’s doing and the people running the xbox division.
The good news for me is used 360 games will be a lot cheaper in the next few months and then after I’ve played the ones I want..I will switch to PS4. I’ve never been more excited to change back. My PS2 nostalgia is coming back!
So much for visiting the cabin console on the rainy long-weekends. :/
Xbox One – A new way to control your TV. Oh you want games? Well we might have some of that… Maybe not, cause integrating live TV is far more important.
Ditto and agreed. Would have preferred if they simply cleaned up the media player and gave it better codec and subtitle support, They should have made the entertainment side a Roku/WDTV killer if anything, and still kept it as a sub-feature, not the main course.
The Likes – The grippy-looking sticks on the new controller, Forza 5
The Dislikes – Everything else so-far, really.
So many opportunities and possibilities, all of them missed because someone thought that the biggest hardships in the living-room were finding the universal remote and a lack of video phones.
Microsoft, you’ve re-invented the wheel, and though it may have BluRay and Skype, it still doesn’t quite roll.
Lots of news for U.S. sports fans, which is funny because the most avid sports fans I know would rather spend the money on season tickets than an all-in-one-box that updates fantasy clubs.
It’s a console with an identity crisis that doesn’t know what demographic to shoot for, so rather than do one well, it’s using the shotgun method to swat flies.
I’m seeing a lot of platinum misses.
I don’t really care what titles come out at launch as it wont be on my mind. Once my 360 gets a bit long in-the-teeth, maybe I’ll weigh my options out. The lack of foresight into your Core audience, has convinced, if not relieved me that I wont be buying a console during the holidays this year after all. (No matter what title you throw out there right now, I wouldn’t spend as much as a Wii U on one with my current level of discontent.)
You didn’t give a solid release-date, so you have a little over six months to re-evaluate your market stance. Here’s a big hint though, a reveal on a gaming console should be about the games. The people who have your systems now aren’t asking “What if I could wave my hands like an idiot and control my TV?” or “What IF I didn’t have to coat my remote and phone in Cheetos dust to watch a program or make a call?”
Microsoft, I am disappoint!
The presentation sucked. Microsoft should know that: when you reveal what is in the first place a ‘game’ console, gamers are going to watch. Thats your first audience and most likely the first to pick it up. But if you the focus on everything not gaming, you get terrible reactions. And then Kinect, I don’t want to have a camera in my living room and not willing to pay for it. So get your act together and make a GAME console or else I’ll get a Playstation for the first time in my live!
Bill has been back on the phone, he says: ‘DOES NOT WANT!’
He would like to say he <3 you guys even PS owners.
He said he had nothing to do with this VCR love child abomination.
'Hate the game, not the playa!' he says and that's what happens when suits take over.
'All I wanted was a pure beast of electronicals in a box to play games, simple message, simple voice chat, play my movies' 'Matt black too' 'Cause it looks well hard' Uhh
On DDR3 he says 'what you expecting it's not a games console, it's TV box now'.
On looks, he said 'Should've got Europeans or Japanese to design it'
On pre-owned games he has this wisdom to share:
Buy NEW game.
Create new cloud email address(Hotmail/Google)+password.
Create new gamertag and play game.
SELL game on Ebay with email/gamertag.
New owner recovers tag and plays. (Yes you don't get achevos on your main account but hey)
Bill does say 'Just let go of your gamertag/gamerscore'. It won't hurt he promises.
It's just games, means nothing, just a number, be free!
His final words were simple 'Unite' and 'be vocal about this abomination'.
'Email MajorNelson and every contact you have for M$ non-stop with what you don't like' be nice though, it's nice to be nice.
'Gamers are great at team work, put it to the test, all together you CAN turn this around' 'They want your money, don't give it to them until you get what you want'
If all else fails don't buy it, resist and change will come.
If you see Bill about give him a hug, he needs one.
I remember the good old days (12 years ago) when the original Xbox was the spiritual successor to the Dreamcast. A welcome haven for hardcore gamers that wanted to rebel against Sony’s crushing dominance in the console wars.
We have come full circle my friends, in one fell swoop Microsoft have stabbed us hardcore gamers in the back and then got into bed with the casual and TV markets. You only have to look at the Wii U to see what happens when you get greedy and try to go after fickle markets.
Oh and while I’m at it I just want to address this ‘media centre in the living-room’ bollocks. I for one will NEVER have a games console in the living room. I’d have to keep asking the wife’s permission to go on it and then try and schedule my gaming around the family’s TV habbits. Absolute rubbish Microsoft, a games console will sit in my man-cave where I can go on it whenever I feel like it so stop pushing all this TV shite onto me cos I’m just not interested.
It’s the hardcore gamers that built Xbox and it is the lack-of hardcore gamers that will ultimately lead to it’s demise.
I think people are over reacting to the lack of game announcements. If everyone would of paid attention in the first place, when the event was announced, Microsoft said it will primarily be showing off the box itself. I for one was not all that upset about the lack of game announcements, that is what E3 is for and frankly needs for E3 to stay alive. Now, I was impressed by allot of the fast switching and tracking of the Kinect, but let’s see how that comes to use in everyday life. Also, there are allot of questions that are left unanswered. I applaud Microsoft for showing the hardware (want to see the full spec sheet, for fun) and the controller looks amazing! I’m excited to see what else is to come. Now, announce some sort of digital backwards compatible program and I will have already bought one (no pun intended).
People are not over reacting. Yes there were complaints about the lack of gameplay footage (read as no gameplay footage) but this is not the major complaint.
The system appears to be shying away from what it should be… a GAMES console. People own other device – cable boxes, laptops, tablets etc which do all this other guff which has been integrated in the Xbox One and they do it well (read as better).
All this wasted development time could have been spent on creating a truely cutting edge gaming system, which is what we, the gaming community, had been waiting for.
Microsoft has upset a lot of people with this. It could well see the shift of the market back to Sony.
Introducing, Sky-box, with Xbox 360 Included
Keep playing with your XB360. I recommend you to buy a new one with discount to have it as a backup. I don’t see why they worry so much for this, I had to keep my XBOX because of the awful psuedo-backwards-compatibility of the XB360. No wonder Sony’s Stock rose after the announcement, I think PS4 will compatible with the whole PS console family.
There is worry about this because:
1. Since the Xbox 360 was out for 8 years a lot of us have built up a huge backlog.
2. A device called the Xbox ONE because it is the ONE stop for entertainment should let us play 360 games.
Mandatory. Deal with it.
XBOX ONE=BIG, BIG, BIIIIG BROTHER
It’s an American company. As an American, I would prefer to be the primary target audience.
What a retarded comment. US company… so what. They target the global market and for a next gen console, their ground breaking features should not include things marketed at a single localised region.
so you stupidly bought something you never use? sounds like your problem…
I’m reading lots of great press on Xbox One from mainstream media outlets… Looks like the ‘real’ press actually got what you are doing with the new console.
Yes, turning it into a cable box you can talk at. The “real” press don’t actually know what a video game console is for.
You’re both right, I should have said ‘grown ups’ got it. Children aren’t able to process things at this level.
Really? “grown ups” got it. So if we expect our Video Game Systems to be more about video games than voice controlling our tv we are children?
If microsoft wanted to start a company for the gaming industry they should have focused more on that. Not turn it into a roku box. You are obviously not a real gamer. Most of us already have televisions with built in apps that do the same thing. Also the “Grown Ups” are the people who recognize that this is a gimmick and will not be had by the corporations and sucked into this.
Roku is $50, XO will be about $500. What exactly is there to get?
it’s just awesome than the non-gaming press “got it”, as the gaming press and the hardcore are dismayed, disappointed, and disgusted!
So, having to lug a Kinect when we want to have Xbox parties is required, and thats just cool right?
Being forced to connect online at least once in 24 hours is great, so I cannot play my console if I go on a trip where I dont have internet access? If for any reason the internet goes down, my console is useless after 24 hours, thats awesome right?
Not being able to let a friend borrow a game to see if he likes it is no longer allowed, letting my kid borrow the game to play it in his room requires a fee the price of the game?
Yeah man, im so glad you speak the truth and stand up for the corporations, because they need to make money. Screw the consumers, its whats best for the company….. yeah thats just so cool you feel that way….
that was the live system? Hard to believe! I just say: “And what about HBO?”
Seems funny when someone gets so sucked up into media franchise when they favor the corporation over the consumer. You my friend are LOST!!
I caught a lot of slack on this site predicting almost everything you guys are complaining about. Also, it’s lacking hardware specs. I’m going to go ahead and call that this will be the shortest console cycle yet. New console in less then 5 years after these are released.
I call it Microsoft’s Dreamcast.
The Dreamcast was a true gamers’ console.
In my opinion, this abomination has more in common with the Philips CD-i or 3DO Interactive Multiplayer.
I meant it in the “This is the end of your era” sense.
It may be Nintendo’s too. The next few years will be interesting, but probably disappointing.
Well so far Im heartbroken with the X1, and I will be jumping ships to the PS4 and PC GAMING. Thank you Microsoft for making my decision much easier..
The XBOX ONE reminded me of the golden age of audio and video equipment, the 80′s, where we had beautiful state-of-the-art equipments. I really liked the look of the XBOX ONE, really, is beautiful!!!
Looks bigger than my bloody TV….!
I can’t believe this. I have been a Xbox guy from day one, been on live for 9 years, and I’m disappointed in this reveal. I won’t lie, I will probably still buy it, as with the PS4, I buy all consoles. I just don’t like the way MS is FORCING everything at us, the always online thing, and the game fees, Kinect.
I rent games a lot and play co-op with friends, but it sounds like I can’t do that now, thanks MS!
What if I lose my internet for not having enough money to pay my bill, can’t play. I guess it just becomes a large expensive paper weight until I can pay my bill, thanks MS!
I have Kinect 1, I like it for my kids, but I feel like I’m being watched all the time. Is this why Kinect 2 is included with every box, so they can spy on all Xbox owners?
The console is also the UGLIEST thing I have ever seen, hideous, and no innovation at all. I don’t care about the TV, I have a cable box that’s just fine!
Also, I don’t care about the backwards compatibility so much for retail games, I’m just upset because I have over 140 arcade/games on demand games on my 360. Waste of money. I know with the new one, I won’t buy any arcade games, just because with the next system, they wont transfer.
Sorry for ranting. I just want MS to know they have literally screwed they’re major consumer base over with this reveal, it really is a slap in the face. I hope they show some good things soon, because right now, it’s like they’re just saying all bad things about the system themselves.
One more thing. If I have a friend who has they’re account on my X1, and I buy a game, we decide to play co-op, will he have to pay a game fee to play on the same screen? See MS, this was the stupidest idea you could have ever came up with. You may have this X1 generation being your last console generation because of this. STUPID!
The only way i would consider buying the Xbox One was if they lost the mandatory Kinect (don’t want to pay for something i don’t want) and lose the crazy DRM measures.
Major, that was probably the worst announcement show I have ever seen.
1. Let’s start with what I liked: I like the multitasking feature, I always wanted something like that while waiting for a game to load or matchmaking to find people. I like the Blu-ray drive, I’ve been upgrading my DVD collection and so that will probably get used a lot. I liked that MS Studios announced 15 new titles for the first year (although I am concerned most of them will be Kinect games).
2. Personally, I watch all my TV and movies on Netflix and Hulu and don’t bother with cable, but even for those that do, why would they get an Xbox when they can just use their cable box (which I’m pretty sure comes with a guide to show what is on) and/or a Roku? I mean a Roku costs like $50 and a cable box is mandatory even with the Xbox One. The only real benefit I saw of using an Xbox One with the TV features was the voice controls and I doubt people are willing to spend over $400 on something like that. You didn’t even announce DVR style features, so that’s another bust.
3. I know sports games and Call of Duty are huge, but spending half your conference focusing on them was a bit much. I am personally bored with CoD games and I won’t touch another EA sports title until they stop closing down servers. You could have spent way more time on announcing other titles and blowing people away (I know more will come at E3, but since your event was so close, you may as well have announced a few more of the titles to get people salivating for your E3 presentation).
4. Why did it take 3 people to announce a Halo TV show? Why was no footage shown? Is the show only available to those who own an Xbox One? You may have answered this during the show, but to be honest, by that time I was bored and not really paying attention (although I am looking forward to it after seeing Forward Unto Dawn).
5. Why isn’t the Xbox ONE backwards compatible? For a system called the ONE (meaning the only ONE box you’ll need) it doesn’t make sense that I also need my Xbox 360. I know a lot of other systems are not backwards compatible and they have done well, but the 360 has been out for almost 8 years. A lot of people have accumulated a LOT of games. I personally have almost 200 games (retail + arcade) and with backwards compatibility I would have had an INSTANT library for the Xbox ONE. I know a lot of people don’t really care about achievements, but I personally like getting achievements (my GS is around 130k) and so I know I will be playing my 360 games for a while while I try and finish all the achievements. Heck, even without achievements I still have a bunch of games that I straight up just haven’t had time to play through completely. I’ve never had a system with such a huge backlog because no other system has had been out as long as the 360. I understand different architecture and stuff, but it cannot be that hard to do some sort of emulation as was done with the 360 for original Xbox titles. Honestly, this might not seem like a big deal to you, but for someone like me who was planning to sell his 360 to pay for the new systems, it just means I need to wait a year or two longer till the consoles drop in price before I pick up a new system. That’s a year or two of me not buying games or accessories for your new system and I doubt I’m the only one in that boat. At the very least, can I plug my Xbox 360 into the Xbox One using the HDMI in?
6. Get your used games story straight. It should work like it does with the 360, meaning no fees and no stupid “more information will come later.” I understand that maybe in the future we can sell digital games over Xbox Live or something like that, but for now, just tell us that there are no fees (like Xbox Support on Twitter keeps saying, but everyone else like the VP can’t seem to get straight).
7. Get your Internet connection story straight. Does it need to check in every 24 hours or is it just that the Xbox One has a lot of features tied to online? Basically, it should works like the 360, where we can watch movies and play single-player games without any connection, but if we do have internet connection we can do a lot more, like play online and watch Netflix and connect to the cloud.
8. Let people know that the Kinect can be turned off if they want, I see no reason to make people use it. What benefit is there into forcing people into using a peripheral they don’t want to use? I personally don’t care since I love the voice command features of the Kinect, but I’m sure it will make other people happy.
9. The news is going around that indies can’t self-publish. Does that mean they can’t publish on XBLA and there is still and XBL Indie section, like the 360, or does it mean no indie games on XBL? Again, doesn’t really affect me personally, but I’d rather support a company that was more open to indie development.
10. 500gb internal hdd is small, I’m hoping there is not limit on the external hdd we can have. I do like the idea of cloud computing though, very interested to see where that goes.
The more I think about Kinect being mandatory, the more I think it
can benefit us long term… it could potentially scale our traditional
action games to our reactions in real-time. Sure, there’s the fitness
games and dance stuff that us couch gamers arn’t into, credit where it’s
due, voice commands works remarkably well on Xbox 360, only really
tried myself with Mass Effect 3, and love not having to leave the action
to go into a menu to change weapons, pick powers etc… in this regard I
think of my voice as a PC’s keyboard, in offering a greater variety of input that a
controller can not give quick access to.
Imagine if Xbox One’s Kinect could be used in say a Left4Dead 3 for
and reading the users facial expressions and heart-rate, the game can
read this and alter the experience accordingly, so if you go in
with your smug face shouting at zombies, expect loads more to
Expect achievement tip sites to include frowning and having a bowl of
raw onions on your lap while playing, just so everyone can make it
through Expert difficulty. In effect, the Kinect could take pitty on
It’s a long shot, but thinking about Kinect forced with
every Xbox One, as with now a HDD in every Xbox One, developers don’t
have to scale back anything, they can go full steam ahead and use
everything at their disposal – and I am all for it.
“Xbox One” is a (sorry) stupid name. They clearly did not call Xbox 360
the Xbox 2, for one simple reason, because numerically it makes it
“appear” inferior to PS3. By calling it Xbox One, that’s just going to
throw the average joe consumer completely off – if there’s an internet
connection required (or cloud gaming emphasised), why not just call the
actual console “Xbox Live”, at least that’s something that actually
involves both sense and logic. Or for lol’s they could have announced it
as “Xbox Five” at the Reveal event, just to troll Sony, then name it
“Xbox Live” at E3.
Until it watches you pick your nose. Sees your girlfriend naked. Untill a hacker is watching you have sex on the couch.
Good bye xbox you are the weakest link lmao
I was greatly disappointed not to see an introduction to some kind of new social networking that competes with fb, twitter, and g+. I mean I have a windows phone, xbox fan, and getting surface. Yet you guys do not have anything in this area that competes.
the biggest problem is how do we get compensated for our 360 games? hope we dont have to repurchase them!!