While the actual update is about a month away from being released, today we released official details on some of the new features and enhancements the free update will contain. In addition to
MSN Messenger Windows Live Messenger integration that you may have heard about, we also announced a new text input device coming this summer. Other features coming next month include:
- The redesigned Achievement notification pop-up (toast) will show the name of the unlocked Achievement and the gamerscore value. You’ll see this information the moment you earn an achievement. No more popping open the guide and interrupting your gameplay. (screenshot)
- Enhanced family settings features for Xbox LIVE communications enable different defaults for video chat and voice chat.
- A new Xbox LIVE Marketplace blade lets Xbox LIVE members access the content they seek – whether it is game content or TV shows and movies (available in the United States) – from one place.
- Updates to Xbox LIVE Arcade allow owners to see which Xbox LIVE Arcade games their friends are playing and join in the fun. Xbox LIVE members can also compare progress of leaderboard scores and Achievements directly with all friends on their friends list. The Tell a Friend capabilities have been expanded as well.
- A new option in Auto Downloads provides faster access to the entire collection of free, trial-version Xbox LIVE Arcade games.
- New progressive download controls provide easy access to optimal viewing options by letting people fast-forward, rewind, pause and resume as their video is downloaded from Xbox LIVE Marketplace.
- Extension of the background download functionality will allow owners to set their Xbox 360 console to turn off automatically after downloads are complete.
I know you probably have a bunch of questions about these features, so I’ll work on getting a few guests on some of my upcoming shows to answer ‘em.
One more thing, the update will also add the ability for the name of the game that is in your tray to show up on the dash. Oh, and it works for Xbox 360 and Original Xbox titles 🙂
Edit: Changed MSNM to WLM