MICROSOFT MAJOR NELSON PROMOTIONS
COMMON TERMS USED IN THESE RULES:
These are the official rules that govern how the Microsoft Major Nelson Promotions will operate (“Sweepstakes”). In these rules, “we,” “our,” and “us” refer to Microsoft Corporation, the sponsor of this Sweepstakes. “You” refers to an eligible Sweepstakes entrant.
These rules will apply to all Sweepstakes conducted under the Major Nelson Twitter account and on the Major Nelson Blog. Each Sweepstakes will have their own specific entry deadlines, prizes and entry requirements, which will be described on www.twitter.com/majornelson or http://www.majornelson.com.
WHAT ARE THE START AND END DATES?
This overall program will consist of many, individual weekly games happening each Friday on Twitter (“Free Code Friday”). In addition, there may be other Sweepstakes offered periodically at random intervals outside of Free Code Friday on Twitter or the Major Nelson blog. Individual start and end times/dates will be communicated at www.twitter.com/majornelson or http://www.majornelson.com for each unique game.
CAN I ENTER?
You are eligible to enter this Sweepstakes if you meet the following requirements at time entry:
- You are 18 years of age or older and are a follower of @majornelson on Twitter (for Twitter promotions) or are a visitor to http://www.majornelson.com; and
o If you are 18 of age or older, but are considered a minor in your place of residence, you should ask your parent’s or legal guardian’s permission prior to submitting an entry into this Sweepstakes; and
- You are NOT a resident of any of the following countries: Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Sudan, and Syria.
o PLEASE NOTE: U.S. export regulations prohibit the export of goods and services to Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Sudan and Syria. Therefore, residents of these countries / regions are not eligible to participate.
- You are NOT an employee of Microsoft Corporation or an employee of a Microsoft subsidiary; and
- You are NOT involved in any part of the administration and execution of this Sweepstakes; and
- You are NOT an immediate family (parent, sibling, spouse/domestic partner, child) or household member of a Microsoft employee, an employee of a Microsoft subsidiary, or a person involved in any part of the administration and execution of this Sweepstakes.
This Sweepstakes is void outside the geographic area described above and wherever else prohibited by law.
HOW DO I ENTER?
Sponsor will conduct individual Sweepstakes by inviting visitors to respond to a prompt via the @Majornelson Twitter Page. To qualify, all tweets used to the enter must contain the hashtag #FreeCodeFridayContest, while all other giveaways outside of Free Code Friday only require the #Contest or #Sweepstakes hashtag (either is acceptable). Tweets missing the required hashtags will be disqualified. In addition, all tweets used to enter each Sweepstakes must be set to “public” or “unprotected”. The dates, prompt, winner determination, and prizes may be unique to each Sweepstakes, and will be described in each unique post.
We will only accept one (1) entry per eligible person per Sweepstakes. Non-winning entries will not be included in subsequent Sweepstakes; you must enter each Sweepstakes separately.
We are not responsible for entries that we do not receive for any reason, or for entries that we receive but are not decipherable for any reason.
We will automatically disqualify:
- Any incomplete or illegible entry; and
- Any entries that we receive from you that are in excess of the entry limit described above.
WINNER DETERMINATION AND PRIZES
After each Sweepstakes, winners will be chosen at random and notified via direct message on Twitter or [state how you will notify winners if via blog] with prize claim instructions. The total number of prize winners and actual prizes will vary with each Sweepstakes. Common items include, but are not limited to [is there stuff you give away frequently?]. Prizes will have a fair market value that will vary. The total number of prizes will be announced with each Sweepstakes.
If the notification that we send is returned as undeliverable, or you are otherwise unreachable for any reason, we may award the prize to an alternate winner. Please allow 4-6 weeks to receive your prize.
If there is a dispute as to who is the potential winner, we will consider the potential winner to be the authorized account holder of the Twitter account used to enter the Sweepstakes. If you are a potential winner, we may require you to sign an Affidavit of Eligibility, Liability/Publicity Release and a W-9 tax form or W-8 BEN tax form within 10 days of notification. If you are a potential winner and you are 18 or older, but are considered a minor in your place of legal residence, we may require your parent or legal guardian to sign all required forms on your behalf. If you do not complete the required forms as instructed and/or return the required forms within the time period listed on the winner notification message, we may disqualify you and select a runner-up.
If you are confirmed as a winner of a Sweepstakes:
- You may not exchange your prize for cash or any other merchandise or services. However, if for any reason an advertised prize is unavailable, we reserve the right to substitute a prize of equal or greater value; and
- You may not designate someone else as the winner. If you are unable or unwilling to accept your prize, we may award it to a runner up; and
- If you accept a prize, you will be solely responsible for all applicable taxes related to accepting the prize; and
- If you are otherwise eligible for this Sweepstakes, but are considered a minor in your place of residence, we may award the prize to your parent/legal guardian on your behalf; and
- Unless otherwise noted, all prizes are subject to their manufacturer’s warranty and / or terms and conditions.
WHAT OTHER CONDITIONS AM I AGREEING TO BY ENTERING?
By entering this Sweepstakes you agree:
- To abide by these Official Rules; and
- To release and hold harmless Microsoft and its respective parents, subsidiaries, affiliates, employees and agents from any and all liability or any injury, loss or damage of any kind arising from or in connection with this Sweepstakes, or any prize won; and
- That Microsoft’s decisions will be final and binding on all matters related to this Sweepstakes; and
- That, by accepting a prize, Microsoft may use of your proper name and state of residence online and in print, or in any other media, in connection with this Sweepstakes, without payment or compensation to you, except where prohibited by law.
WHAT LAWS GOVERN THE WAY THIS SWEEPSTAKES IS EXECUTED AND ADMINISTRATED?
This Sweepstakes will be governed by the laws of the State of Washington, and you consent to the exclusive jurisdiction and venue of the courts of the State of Washington for any disputes arising out of this Sweepstakes.
WHAT IF SOMETHING UNEXPECTED HAPPENS AND THE SWEEPSTAKES CAN’T RUN AS PLANNED?
If someone cheats, or a virus, bug, catastrophic event, or any other unforeseen or unexpected event that cannot be reasonably anticipated or controlled, (also referred to as force majeure) affects the fairness and / or integrity of this Sweepstakes, we reserve the right to cancel, change or suspend this Sweepstakes. This right is reserved whether the event is due to human or technical error. If a solution cannot be found to restore the integrity of the Sweepstakes, we reserve the right to select winners from among all eligible entries received before we had to cancel, change or suspend the Sweepstakes.
If you attempt to compromise the integrity or the legitimate operation of this Sweepstakes by hacking or by cheating or committing fraud in ANY way, we may seek damages from you to the fullest extent permitted by law. Further, we may ban you from participating in any of our future Sweepstakes, so please play fairly.
HOW CAN I FIND OUT WHO WON?
For a list of winners who received a prize worth $25.00 or more, send a self-addressed stamped envelope to:
@majornelson social sweepstakes
One Microsoft Way, Studio A/1801
Redmond, WA 98052
Requests received more than one month following winner confirmation will not be fulfilled.
WHO IS SPONSORING THIS SWEEPSTAKES?
One Microsoft Way
Redmond, WA 98052